When consumers are holiday shopping, you want to align your dispensary marketing to meet them where they’re at.
The good news is that Valentine’s Day cannabis shopping is popular. The other good news is that novelty items you don’t normally move can be in high demand on this holiday.
Infused bath bombs anybody?!
As we’ve done with previous consumer holidays, we wanted to give you insight into the campaigns we’ve seen earn the most Valentines and generate the highest ROI below.
If you’ve been following us in the last few months, you’ve likely heard us preach about how cannabis retailers need to think more about major shopping holidays as better opportunities for sales throughout the year than cannabis-specific holidays (yes, we know 420 is still the biggest sales day).
For Valentine’s Day, consumers are looking for gifts for their dates and partners, but also for niceties like candies, relaxing bath items, and little indulgences they don’t enjoy daily (or some they do, like wine, HELLO!).
We always say this, but that’s because there’s such sound logic to it: create bundles!
With consumers shopping for irregular items like bath bombs, confectionary truffles, rose blunts, massage oil, not to mention cannabis lube, there are many creative ways you can ensure the average basket value is higher than just selling one of those items.
Create 1-3 options for V-Day customers to bundle up and save, while driving your sales higher. Beware over discounting any one of these single items! Consumers already want them and you might cannibalize your profit margins.
Want to earn even extra credit … ahem, dollars? Put these bundles in really nice little baskets or gift boxes so they can be directly given to the customer’s Valentine of choice.
Bonus gift idea:
If pre-made bundles feel too prescriptive, create a mix & match menu of 10 selected items that the customer can pick three of and pay a flat rate as part of the bundle. It’s a little more “choice-oriented” even if the items available are curated by you at the store. Wrap up their choices in nice gift boxes and send them on their way!
Successful V-Day Cannabis Retail Campaigns
Ok, here are the top campaign ideas our clients used to drive the most sales on Valentine’s Day 2023:
- “Buy one, get one - share the love!” - a BOGO deal with V-Day pun is a slamdunk
- Bundles / gift boxes - see above, we aren’t just making it up
- Puns on giving "flowers" - look, it might be painful, but people are highly susceptible to puns. We see them in the top performers every holiday
- Lots of edibles features and deals - Valentine’s Day is about romantic dinners and indulgent desserts. The stomach is the doorway to the heart, they say
- Strain highlights - Wedding Cake, Cherry Gelato - people are horribly susceptible to puns and themes. Works for strains, too
- $14 off - again with the themes. Try pairing this with a min. order value
- Bath bombs, topicals, self care - promoting these items and products is obvious, but don’t over discount them!
- Accessories deals! Gift some glass - you don’t often see accessories being hyped in our top performers, but there’s something special about glass on Valentine’s Day it seems
- Raffles for gift cards to other businesses - steakhouses or date spots - truly meeting the customer where they’re at and building relationships with other local businesses!
- Superbowl + Valentines combo promos - we’ll be honest, this one stumps us, but we guess for a specific category of customers, this is a win. Reading all of the pop culture tea leaves suited some of our clients well last year
Looking for more ideas and tools to support your dispensary marketing, not just on holidays, but every day of the year? Schedule a demo today and we'll show you what's possible with purpose build tools with you in mind.